22 Earth Day Writing Prompts
What could be more useful for writers on Earth Day than writing prompts tackling issues such as protecting the environment, increasing use of public transportation, using fewer resources, or recycling? Originally developed as creative writing prompts for elementary school children on a site called Journal Buddies, I whittled the original list of 53 ideas to 22. I wanted a list geared more towards adults. These prompts provide topics to discuss and write about all year. If you’re a freelance writer, perhaps one of these prompts could develop into your next article. As we observe Earth Day on Sunday, April 22, we should remember to recognize it’s importance not only once a year, but every day.
- Why is it important to recycle?
- How does saving the environment make people healthier?
- What policies could your city make to save energy?
- Create five Earth Day slogans to promote recycling.
- Make a list of everything you can think of to recycle.
- What are some great strategies for the environment that are already in place?
- What types of technology are good for the environment?
- Are using reusable bags at stores is helpful and worth the energy they take to make?
- The biggest example of waste I’ve ever seen…
- What do you believe is the best way to preserve the environment?
- What is your commitment to the environment?
- Think of three Earth Day messages to get people to use less water, fuel, or electricity.
- Ways helping the environment benefits animals…
- What are some of the benefits of eating organic foods?
- Buying things used is a way to…
- Is it better to reuse or to recycle?
- Is it better to use paper or plastic?
- How you can cut back on waste…
- How could your city have better public transportation?
- What do you believe is the most endangered part of the Earth? Why?
- Where is the most beautiful nature in your town?
- What does it mean to live simply?
Leave a comment below if you have any other topic ideas, thoughts, or questions!